Job title: Recreation Specialist I (Fitness Specialist)
Company: City of Escondido
Job description: Abstract
Senior Recreation Specialist (Fitness Specialist)
(part-time, temporary position, 1500 hours, eligible persons)
The City of Escondido is looking for an individual with a fitness mindset who is interested in working with the community to develop healthy exercise habits. In 2019, Escondido was selected by the National Fitness Campaign (NFC) as a model city and installed five fitness venues. The fitness professional will develop a fitness program using NFC stadiums, direct classes, assign volunteer fitness ambassadors, act as a city liaison on fitness campaigns, and maintain information hosted on the NFC app. The work schedule for this 30 hour/week position including nights and weekends will vary based on the general use needs of the NFC Courts. During the construction of the remaining courts, the fitness specialist may be assigned additional tasks to support the Department of Community Services.
- Under the direct supervision of the Community Services Superintendent, the Fitness Specialist will assist in the expansion and direction of the National Fitness Campaign (NFC) classes/programs.
- Directs group fitness classes in NFC stadiums using proper exercise techniques produced by NFC
- Works with City Volunteer Liaison to recruit and train NFC Fitness Ambassadors
- Acts as a link to NFC and maintains class schedules in the NFC app
- Monitors activities that occur in NFC Courts to ensure the safety and security of the public and employees
- Provide excellent customer service over the phone, email and in person
- Maintains and updated various databases, filing systems, and record-keeping systems for designated program areas
- Promote programs and events to clients
- All other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate for this position will:
- Be energetic, self-motivated, and team oriented with the ability to work independently, asking for help when necessary
- Provide strong customer service skills and capabilities to work with community members of all ages, volunteers, external agency representatives, and city employees
- Possess excellent verbal and written skills to communicate with community members and city employees
- Be organized and multi-task
- Have knowledge of Microsoft Professional Suite
- Have experience working in a public service or customer service environment
- It has the capacity to lift 50 lbs
- Be 18 years old at the time of employment
- High school graduate or equivalent
- First aid and CPR certification
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) certification or two years of experience in group fitness/personal training
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) is highly desirable
Note: The City of Escondido is committed to a drug and alcohol-free workplace. A medical examination, along with a medication screen, will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment.
A fully completed online city application is required
The application is available on the city’s website at the address
Only applications submitted through the city’s website will be accepted
Note: For a complete list of job duties and qualifications, please refer to the corresponding job description, which can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from the city’s website. The City of Escondido is committed to providing a drug- and alcohol-free workplace. All applicants will undergo a fingerprint screening prior to extending the conditional job offer. A medical examination, along with a medication screen, will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment. Jobs subject to Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations will undergo DOT pre-employment drug testing and random drug and alcohol testing.
Applications will be screened and the most qualified candidates will be invited to come for the test. All positions require the ability to read, write and speak English. Types of tests may include written and/or oral examination, physical agility, practical exam or other appropriate job-related selection process. When the test is completed, candidates will be ranked in the eligibility list in the order of their test scores. Appointments are selected from the names approved in the eligibility list.
All appointments are subject to successful completion of a background investigation including LIVESCAN fingerprints, and will be required to submit verification of legal right to work in the United States. Qualification by medical examination will be required at the time of appointment. After recruitment, classified employees must satisfactorily complete the probationary period to be eligible for regular status. According to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, all new employees must provide proof of their eligibility to work in the United States within the first three days of their employment. The City of Escondido participates in E-Verify®.
The loyalty oath will be administered to all new employees on the first day of their appointment. New employees appointed to positions that require a driver’s license must provide proof of a valid California driver’s license at the appropriate class level on their first day of employment.
Additional information regarding the core functions and physical, environmental and communication requirements of the job can be obtained from the Human Resources Department. If you require reasonable accommodations in the testing process, such as an alternative means of testing, you must contact the Human Resources Department by the final submission date to complete the Reasonable Accommodation Application Form. The provisions of this prospectus do not constitute an express or implied contract. Any provision contained in this prospectus may be amended or canceled without prior notice.
Note: Pursuant to Section 1786.53 of the California Civil Code, the City of Escondido is required to provide all job candidates with a copy of any arrest records, indictment, conviction, civil lawsuit, tax lien, or pending judgment obtained during the course of the evaluation for employment and/or placement. and/or promotion. A copy of this information, if received by the City, will be delivered to the candidates within seven days of receipt by the City.
Eligible individuals are those who meet the following criteria:
- Served in the US Armed Forces
- Received an honorable discharge
- He has not retired from military service
- Looking for work in Escondido for the first time.
Active duty guard and reserve training purposes does not qualify for veterans preference. Proof of eligibility (a copy of DD-214) must be submitted at the time of application, or at a later time if the release of the eligibility list is not delayed. Veterans preference credit will only be applied to eligible applicants who have achieved a passing score (total score excluding credit) in the final open exam.
about our city
It is a prominent agricultural, commercial and residential center in North San Diego County. Located within a 30-minute drive of the beach, the mountains, or downtown San Diego, Escondido residents enjoy the fun of a rural lifestyle with all the benefits of suburban living. Escondido is a diverse and lively community with many amenities. The city offers attractive homes in a wide range of prices, two lakes, several parks, a sports center, golf courses, restaurants, wineries, shopping malls, a variety of art galleries, entertainment venues, and a state-of-the-art hospital. Founded in 1888, the city’s rich past brings charm and stability to the community; However, integration with Escondido’s cherished heritage is a future that is progressive, bright and brimming with promise.
EOE The City of Escondido does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, disability, gender, age, national origin, or sexual orientation. We will attempt to reasonably accommodate applicants with disabilities upon request.
Expected salary: $19 per hour
Location: Escondido, CA
Job date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 05:21:42 GMT
Apply for the job now!